Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Meet the "wife" ...

I should start by saying I'm not a firefighter's wife ... yet. We live together, have a 9 month old daughter, and are getting married in October. We live in small town northern Indiana on my family's farmstead. My firefighter fiance just became a full-time salaried firefighter a few days ago. He hasnt even completed his Fire 1 & 2 class yet -- which is awesome and amazing that he landed a full-time job with no prior volunteering or years of waiting. Prior to being a firefighter he has worked as an EMT-A for an ambulance service the past year transporting mostly non-emergency patients. And before that he worked in a local warehouse loading/unloading & doing local deliveries. A lot has happened in the 2 years I've known and been dating him. It has fallen into place perfectly for him. I love that.

I am a state university graduate who has mostly worked for my family business since graduating. I took a year and a half away from the family business to do other work at a local farm machinery dealership, only to realize I was chasing my tail there. Just after becoming pregnant I returned to the family business (farming + accounting for farmers). I wanted to be around to raise my daughter, to be able to take her to work with me. That was my driving force for returning to the family business part time. I am a country girl farm kid. I know this life, this lifestyle. What I dont know is firefighting -- the terms, the trucks, the routines, the hours, the shifts, the dreadful radio. I dont know how to adjust to something so foreign to me. How to live my life, but also to put it on hold for him.

I'm hoping to find answers, encouragement, support along this journey. To find ladies who have been there, who are there. To form friendships that bridge the gap in the absence of my firefighter.

More to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment